Love SwimRun Llanberis, North Wales, UK
22nd June 2019
The original Welsh SwimRun event!
Swim in the deep clear waters of Llyn Padarn and run beneath the majestic summit of Snowdon – Love SwimRun Llanberis will take place in Padarn Country Park, home to some of the most spectacular scenery in North Wales!
Love SwimRun Llanberis will take place in Padarn Country Park, Llanberis, Snowdonia National Park, North Wales. The multi transition course at Llanberis in North Wales will involve a total of approximately 3.5km of swimming and 12.5km of running. The running route will take in some of Snowdonia’s most stunning scenery and views on mainly off road terrain, including beautiful woodland, a historic monument and a tough climb up into the old slate quarries that tower above the valley. The swim sections will all take place in Llyn Padarn, entering and exiting the lake at various locations, so by the time you reach the finish line you will have swum the entire length and explored every corner! The course will be fully marked.
- location: Y Glyn (The Lagoons) Llanberis, North Wales. LL55 4EL. Map
- Total course distance: Approximately 16km (3.5km of swimming and 12.5km of running)
- Longest run: Approximately 8.3km
- Longest Swim: Approximately 1.1km
- Elevation gain: 375m
- Cut off: 1 hour 30 minutes to finish swim 2 (approx 4.4km running & 1km swimming).
- Aid stations: 2 (you are advised to carry water and a gel)
- Transitions: 4 swims, 4 run
Run 1 : 2.3km
Swim 1 : 0.48km
Run 2 : 2.07km
Swim 2 : 0.48km
Run 3 : 300m
Swim 3 : 1.06km
Run 4 : 8.28km
Swim 4 : 1.04km
View results from Love SwimRun Llanberis 2018 HERE!
View photos from Love SwimRun Llanberis 2017 HERE!
View results from Love SwimRun Llanberis 2017 HERE!
- Online entry opens: Entries are open!
- Online entry closes: 5pm on Sunday 16th June 2019.
You must be over 18 years of age on the day of the race to enter the event.
- Team of 2: £176
- Solo: £88
Entry fee includes:
- Event bib (to be returned, or can be purchased on the day for £5)
- Event swim hat (re-use one of our orange hats to save waste and we’ll donate the cost to The Marine Conservation society – see note below*)
- Race timing
- Fuel and water during race
- Wild Trail bar & post-event refreshments
- Race medal
- Free event photos
- Prize for winners in each category – supplied by Zone3
- A whole lot of fun!
* We all have loads of swim caps from events, do you really need another?! If you bring an orange Love SwimRun hat from a previous event with you to reuse instead of taking a new hat we will donate the cost of the new hat to The Marine Conservation Society! Of course, you are welcome to have a cap if you want it!
Mandatory equipment for team and solo participants
There will be a mandatory equipment check at registration.
- 1 wetsuit per participant suitable for water temperature of min 14 degrees Celsius
- 1 pair goggles per participant
- 1 pair trainers suitable for off road/multi terrain, per participant
- 1 whistle per participant
- Hydration system, soft bottle or cup per participant
This event will be plastic cup free in a bid to reduce waste and help care for the environment. Water will of course be available at feed stations and the finish line but you will need to carry your own bottle or cup. We recommend using a soft silicone cup or similar which can be easily stashed inside your wetsuit or a soft bottle such as this one.
Additional mandatory equipment for solo competitors only
- 1 Tow float (any type is fine). A pull buoy does not count as a tow float!
Mandatory equipment that Love SwimRun will supply
- Race bibs – must be worn at all times during the race and must not be modified
- Swim caps – must be worn during all the swims
Strongly recommended equipment
- Emergency food
- Mobile phone in waterproof case
Training plan & swimrun tips
You can find lots of information about training for swimrun on this website under the ‘Useful Info’ tab. We also have a training plan available here.
Going on average water temperatures for the end of June over the last few years, we expect the water temperature in Llyn Padarn to be between 14°C and 18°C for our Love SwimRun Llanberis event. The temperature in the lake can vary quite a lot depending on the amount of rainfall and sunshine we have but we will keep you updated on the water temperature in the run up to the event.
Registration and kit inspections take place on Friday 21st June from 18.45 unitl 19.45 at Petes Eat’s Cafe on Llanberis High Street, and on Saturday 22nd June from 07:30 to 08.45 at Surflines, Unit 3, Y Glyn, Llanberis, LL55 4EL. Please arrive as early as possible and ensure you have your mandatory equipment with you – your kit will be checked and you cannot register without it! Race bibs and hats will be issued during registration. Both team members must be present to register.
Route and safety briefing
The briefing will be held at 09:00 on Saturday 22nd June 2018 at Y Glyn (The Lagoons), Llanberis. Teams who have not attended the brief will not be allowed to start.
Entries are open!
- Entries of 200 taken 22%
Provisional Schedule of events
Please see 2019 event handbook for correct times.
Friday 21st June 2019
- 18.45 to 19.45 Registration at Pete’s Eat’s
Saturday 22nd June 2019
- 07:30 Registration opens
- 08.45 Registration closes
- 09:00 Route and safety brief
- 09:20 Arrive at start line
- 09:25 Race start – Wave 1
- 09:30 Race start – Wave 2
- 09:35 Race start – Wave 3
- 09:40 Race start – Wave 4
- 14:45 Zone3 Prize giving
Official nutrition partner
Wild Trail will be helping to fuel you on our events this year as our official nutrition partner! Their all natural fruit and nut bars are made with just 5 simple ingredients you’ll know and love, see them at www.wildtrail.co.uk. They are gluten free, dairy free, have no added sugar, are high in fibre and suitable for vegetarians and vegans! Best of all, Wild Trail bars are inspired by Snowdonia and are made locally in Wales.
We are super exited to have Zone3 on board as our SwimRun event sponsors. They will be suppling the winners of each category with a prize of £50 vouchers to spend at www.racezone3.com, plus there will be a few spot prizes given out at random. Zone3 are also offering all Love SwimRun participants a 15% discount on their range including the SwimRun specific wetsuit, the Evolution! You will receive a special discount code once you have registered.
See Swim are offering Love SwimRun participants their tow float bag at a special price of £25, including postage. You can see it here: www.seeswim.co.uk. You will receive a special link to purchase it at the reduced price once you have registered.
Prizes & party!
Prizes will be supplied by Zone3 and will be given out after the race finishes. We always to go a pub (which TBC) for a drink at about 5pm. Food will be available and the bar will be open! All competitors will receive a race souvenir. Prizes will be awarded to the first 3 teams/solos in each category. No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered.
Parking & toilet facilities
There is plenty of parking within the parking bay areas of Y Glyn (The Lagoons). Please do not park on the road. There are public toilets at the end of the road leading into Y Glyn.
By car: Llanberis typically is 5 hours from London by car, 2 hours from Manchester. To access Llanberis turn off at Junction 20 of the M6 onto the M56, follow signs for NORTH WALES to reach the A55. Use post code 1155 4EL in your Sat Nav. Public transport: The closest train station to Llanberis is in Bangor. Buses run from Bangor to Llanberis.
See our list of accommodation providers here.
Spectators are welcome at Love SwimRun events. Please park considerately and use the parking bays in Y Glyn. Please do not park on the road. There are plenty of good spots from which to support your friends. After seeing the race start at Y Glyn, we recommend that you walk down to the south end of the lake where you’ll be able to see them finishing the first long run and setting off on the second swim. You’ll have plenty of time to walk back to Y Glyn to see the race finishers. If you are feeling energetic you could even walk all the way around the lake! We would advise you to dress warmly and wear suitable footwear for walking on rough ground. If you take any photos or videos we would love to see them! If you are interested in volunteering on the day, please get in touch!
Race rules & entry terms & conditions
Please read the race rules and terms and conditions of entry throughly before signing up. You can read them in full here. Please be aware that we offer a no refunds policy and limited entry deferral options. We recommend you take out individual sports event insurance to cover any losses due to unexpected circumstances that prevent you from taking part.