Love SwimRun Llanberis, North Wales, UK
15th June 2024
The original Welsh SwimRun event!
Swim in the deep clear waters of Llyn Padarn and run beneath the majestic summit of Snowdon – Love SwimRun Llanberis will take place in Padarn Country Park, home to some of the most spectacular scenery in North Wales!
Love SwimRun Llanberis Event Schedule:
Love SwimRun Llanberis will take place in Padarn Country Park, Llanberis, Snowdonia National Park, North Wales. The multi transition course in North Wales will involve a total of approximately 3.5km of swimming and 12.5km of running (Sprint course is 1.3km of swimming and 4.7km of running). The running route will take in some of Snowdonia’s most stunning scenery and views on mainly off road terrain, including beautiful woodland, a historic monument and a tough climb up into the old slate quarries that tower above the valley. The swim sections will all take place in Llyn Padarn, entering and exiting the lake at various locations, so by the time you reach the finish line you will have swum the entire length and explored every corner! The course will be fully marked with marshals on land and on the water.
- location: Y Glyn (The Lagoons) Llanberis, North Wales. LL55 4EL. Map
- Total course distance:
Full course: Approximately 16km (3.5km of swimming and 12.5km of running)
Sprint course: Approximately 6km (1.3km of swimming and 4.7km of running)
- Longest run:
Full course 8.3km
Sprint course 2.2km
- Longest Swim:
Full course 1.1km
Sprint course 500m
Full course 4 swims, 4 runs
Run 1 : 2.3km
Swim 1 : 0.48km
Run 2 : 2.07km
Swim 2 : 0.48km
Run 3 : 300m
Swim 3 : 1.06km
Run 4 : 8.28km
Swim 4 : 1.04km
Sprint course 3 runs, 3 swims – First 3 runs and 2 swims as in full course. Last swim is 350m
- Elevation gain:
Full course 375m
Sprint course 104m
- Cut off 1: 1 hour 30 minutes to finish swim 2
Cut off 2: 4 hours 15 minutes to reach the end of Run 4
- Aid stations: (These will carry fruit jelly sweets, crisps, variety of biscuits, bananas, water, electrolyte, all suitable for vegetarians/vegans)
Full course: 2 (you are advised to carry fluids and a gel)
Sprint course: 1
- Terrain: The running terrain is a mix of tarmac (some sections running along or crossing roads) and off road trails. Off road terrain includes loose gravel, uneven and sharp slate waste, partly overgrown woodland trails with rooty and rocky steep technical descents, stairs and long climbs. The swims are all in Llyn Padarn (fresh water). Swim entries and exits are a mix of rocky scrambles and slate waste beaches (sometimes uneven and slippery).
- Online entry opens: Open soon!
- Online entry closes: Friday 7th June 2024, 5pm.
Full course entries: Solo or team of 2. Must be 18+ on the day of the event to enter.
Sprint course entries: Solo entries only (but that does not mean you cannot complete the whole course with a friend!) Juniors age 10+ may enter but must be accompanied by a fee paying adult at all times. One child per adult.
(Early bird offer ends 30th September 2023)
- Team of 2 Full Course: Early bird £208 / £220
- Solo full course: Early bird £104 / £110
- Solo sprint course (Adult): Early bird £58 / £65
- Solo sprint course (Junior): Early bird £48 / £52
Entry fee includes:
- Event numbered bib (to be returned – damaged or lost bibs will be charged for at £25 each)
- Event swim hat (re-use one of our orange hats to save waste and we’ll donate the cost to The Marine Conservation society – see note below*)
- Race timing (chips to be returned – lost chips will be charged for at £15 each)
- Food and water during race
- Tribe bar & post-event refreshments
- Hand made, eco friendly slate medal
- Event photos
- Prize for winners in each category
- A whole lot of fun!
* We all have loads of swim caps from events, do you really need another?! If you bring an orange Love SwimRun hat from a previous event with you to reuse instead of taking a new hat we will donate the cost of the new hat to The Marine Conservation Society! Of course, you are welcome to have a cap if you want it.
Event Rules & Entry Terms & Conditions
Please read the updated 2024 Event Rules and Participant Declaration which can be found below, and the Terms and Conditions of entry throughly before signing up. You can read them in full here. Please be aware that we offer a no refunds policy. Please see Terms and Conditions clauses 5 & 6 regarding optional Refund Protect insurance and the options you have for transferring your entry.
Registration and kit inspections take place on Friday 14th June from 18.45 unitl 19.45 and on Saturday 17th June from 07:30 to 08.45 at location TBC. Please arrive as early as possible and ensure you have your mandatory equipment with you – your kit will be checked and you cannot register without it! Race bibs and hats will be issued during registration. BOTH team members must be present to register.
Route and safety briefing
The briefing will be held at 09:10 on Saturday 15th June 2024 at Y Glyn (The Lagoons), Llanberis. Teams who have not attended the brief will not be allowed to start.
Provisional schedule of events
(All times listed are provisional and will be confirmed in the 2024 handbook)
Friday 14th June 2024
- 18.45 to 19.45 Registration
Saturday 15th June 2024
- 07:30 Registration opens
- 08.45 Registration closes
- 09:10 Route and safety brief
- 09:30 Arrive at start line
- 09:35 Race start – Wave 1
- 09:38 Race start – Wave 2
- 09:41 Race start – Wave 3
- 09:44 Race start – Wave 4
- 14:00 Prize giving
Waves will be announced on the day at the event briefing.
Mandatory equipment for team and solo participants
There will be a mandatory equipment check at registration.
- 1 wetsuit per participant suitable for water temperature of min 14 degrees Celsius
- 1 pair goggles per participant
- 1 pair clean trainers with good grip, suitable for off road/multi terrain, per participant.
- 1 whistle per participant
- Hydration system, soft bottle or cup per participant
This event will be plastic cup free in a bid to reduce waste and help care for the environment. Water will of course be available at feed stations and the finish line but you will need to carry your own bottle or cup. We recommend using a soft silicone cup or similar which can be easily stashed inside your wetsuit or a soft bottle.
Additional mandatory equipment for solo competitors only
- 1 Tow float (must be a dedicated swimming tow float – a pull buoy does not count as a tow float!) Juniors must have a float as well as the accompanying adult.
Mandatory equipment that Love SwimRun will supply
- Race bibs – must be worn at ALL TIMES during the race and must not be modified
- Swim caps – must be worn during all the swims
Strongly recommended equipment
- Emergency food
- Mobile phone in waterproof case
- Basic First Aid kit
- Hand paddles
- Pull buoys
- Tow float
- Waist belts and tow lines.
Equipment that is NOT allowed
- Floatation help that is bigger than 100 cm x 60 cm.
- Powered propulsion
- Participants must follow the marked course and instructions of marshals at all times. Failure to follow instructions will result in disqualification.
- Teams of two must stay together at all times and must remain less than 25 metres apart on land and less than 10 metres apart in the water
- Teams must arrive at each transition/checkpoint as a pair.
- Participants must check in at all required checkpoints. Do not leave the checkpoints without ensuring your race number has been recorded.
- Teams must finish as a pair or will be disqualified.
- Junior participants must remain within 10m of their guardian at all times.
- Your total time is from the whistle blowing at the start until the last team member has crossed the finish line. Time includes any time at feed stations.
- There are 2 cut off times/locations. Participants must reach these points by a certain time to be able to continue with the race. If you are asked to retire from the race you must do so without question or complaint. Information about the cut off times will be confirmed in the event handbook.
- All solo participants must carry a tow float. If one team member retires the remaining member may not continue alone without a tow float.
- Participants that withdraw from the race shall report this as soon as possible to the organisers and return their timig chip and bib number.
(Assumption Of Risk for all participants)
I hereby affirm that I am aware of the risk involved with any open water swimming / swimrun activity.
I understand that open water swimming may involve inherent risks, including but not limited to cold related illness, infection and disease, marine life injuries, drowning or accidents.
I have read the Terms and Conditions, the General Rules and the Event rules and agree to follow them at all times.
I accept the no refund policy and I understand that I have limited entry tranfer options, as set out in the terms and Conditions.
I understand that it is entirely my decision whether to take out optional Refund Protect insurance and that I will carefully check the terms of the policy before doing so to make sure it is suitable for my needs.
I understand and agree that I must stay within the designated swim areas/on the stated course at all times.
I have read the Event Schedule and understand the nature of the event. I am aware of the prerequisite skill level / swimming experience necessary to participate in the events and the course/category I have opted for, and I stipulate that I meet these requirements. I understand that participating in the event may be strenuous and declare that I am medically able, physically fit and properly trained. I have declared any relevant medical details to the organisers.
I understand that I am responsible for supplying my own equipment, as stated in the Event Schedule, in proper working condition, regardless of where I obtained it or from whom. I understand that my equipment will be checked at registration that that I may be prevented from registering if my equipment is not up to standard.
I acknowledge that the event may be held over public roads and facilities open to the public during the event and upon which hazards are to be expected.
I acknowledge and agree that participation in the event may carry with it certain inherent risks and dangers that cannot be eliminated completely ranging from risk of minor discomfort to catastrophic injuries including permanent disability and death.
I understand and agree that neither the Organisers of this event nor the sponsors of the event, nor any of their respective officers, agents, or volunteers (hereinafter referred to as ‘Released Parties’) may be held liable or responsible in any way for any injury, death, or other damages to myself, my family heirs or assigns that may occur as a result of my participation in the event or as a result of the negligence of any party, including the Released Parties, whether passive or active.
In consideration of being allowed to participate in the event, I hereby personally assume all risks in connection with it, for any harm, injury, or damage that may befall me while I am participating in the event, including all risks connected therewith, whether foreseen or unforeseen.
I agree to hold harmless the Released Parties from any claim or lawsuit by myself, my family, estate, heirs or assigns, arising out of my participation in the event, including any and all claims arising during my practicing and any arising during or after I complete the Event.
I understand that open water swimming / swimrun activities are physically strenuous and that I will be exerting myself during the event, I expressly assume the risk of any and all injuries, and I will not hold the Released Parties responsible if I am injured as a result of heart attack, panic, drowning, trips or falls, head injury, or any other cause of injury or death not specifically stated herein.
I understand that all the terms herein are contractual, they are not a mere recital, and my entering online is done of my own free act and in so doing, I waive my legal rights to sue.
I state that I am of lawful age and legally competent to make an online Entry, or that I have the written consent of my parent or legal guardian to engage in the event under the conditions of this waiver as stipulated by their entering on my behalf.
It is my intention to exempt and release all of the Released Parties as defined herein, from all liability whatsoever for personal injury, property damage or wrongful death however caused, including but not limited to the negligence of the Released Parties, whether passive or active.
By completing my online entry I HAVE FULLY INFORMED MYSELF OF THE CONTENTS OF THIS LIABILITY RELEASE AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK BY READING IT.
At Registration, you must produce appropriate photographic personal identification acceptable to the Event Organiser such as driver’s license or passport.
All competitors will receive a handmade local slate medal. Winners prizes will be supplied by Zone3 and will be given out after the race finishes. Prizes will be awarded to the first 3 teams/solos in each category (Full course: solo male & female, teams male, female & mixed. Sprint course: male and female, Junior male and female) No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. Prizes must be collected on the day and will not be given out after the event day.
Going on average water temperatures for the end of June over the last few years, we expect the water temperature in Llyn Padarn to be between 14°C and 18°C for our Love SwimRun Llanberis event. The temperature in the lake can vary quite a lot depending on the amount of rainfall and sunshine we have but we will keep you updated on the water temperature in the run up to the event.
Love SwimRun Llanberis 2024 commemorative t-shirts will be available for pre-order (to pick up on the day of the event). These are designed, produced and sold by an independent t-shirt designer. They are etchically produced from organic cotton! They are hand printed locally using environmentally friendly inks. You will be emailed approx 1 month before the event with the design and details of how to order one.
Love SwimRun everyday vinyl printed logo t-shirts, vest tops and hoodies are available for mail order in the Love SwimRun shop.
Parking & Toilet Facilities
There is plenty of parking within the parking bay areas of Y Glyn. Parking charges apply – machines maybe card payment only. Please do not park on the road. There are public toilets at the end of the road leading into Y Glyn.
By car: Llanberis typically is 5 hours from London by car, 2 hours from Manchester. To access Llanberis turn off at Junction 20 of the M6 onto the M56, follow signs for NORTH WALES to reach the A55. Use post code LL55 4EL in your Sat Nav. Public transport: The closest train station to Llanberis is in Bangor. Buses run from Bangor to Llanberis.
See our list of accommodation providers here.
Spectators are welcome at Love SwimRun events. Please park considerately and use the parking bays in Y Glyn. Please do not park on the road. There are plenty of good spots from which to support your friends. After seeing the race start at Y Glyn, we recommend that you walk down to the south end of the lake where you’ll be able to see them finishing the first long run and setting off on the second swim. You’ll have plenty of time to walk back to Y Glyn to see the race finishers. If you are feeling energetic you could even walk all the way around the lake! We would advise you to dress warmly and wear suitable footwear for walking on rough ground. If you take any photos or videos we would love to see them! If you are interested in volunteering on the day, please get in touch!
Official Event Sponsor
We are exited to have ZONE3 on board as our SwimRun event sponsors. ZONE3 are offering all Love SwimRun participants a 20% discount on their range of products including their SwimRun specific wetsuit, the Evolution! You will receive a special discount code once you have registered for the event.
Official Nutrition Partner
TRIBE will be our 2024 Official Nutrition Partner! Their tasty plant based protein bars are gluten free and made with natural ingredients. They are perfect for performance fuelling and for snacking! Profits from their bars go to the Tribe Freedom Foundation to help fight modern slavery and human trafficking.