The Virtual Vertical Swim
Take on our Virtual Vertical Swim challenge in August,
earn a sew-on patch and help raise money for Unicef.
About The Virtual Vertical Swim
The Virtual Vertical Swim is a fun swimming challenge that you can complete during the month of August! The idea is to swim as ‘high’ (far) as possible and reach the summit of one of our mountains or even swim up into the clouds to reach the Stratosphere! You have the whole month to complete your ‘ascent’ (distance), you do not have to swim it all in one go, but you can if you want to!
The Virtual Vertical Swim Heights:
There are 6 swim heights (distances) for you to choose from – pick the one that best suits your ability. You can choose to make it as easy or as challenging for yourself (or someone else!) as you like! You can enter more than one if you want to!
– Ben Nevis: 1,345m (The highest mountain in the UK)
– Mt Elbrus: 5642m (The highest mountain in Europe)
– Everest: 8848m (The highest mountain in the World)
– The Troposphere: 15km
– The Ozone Layer: 30km
– The Stratosphere: 50km
This is a personal challenge not a race. There are no prizes but you will receive a fantastic sew-on patch (as shown above) so you can show off your achievement! At the end of the challenge we will add all your names to a graphic on the website showing the heights of your swims! We would love to see photos of you doing your swim too! Please tag us in your pictures on social media @loveswimrun.
You can swim in the sea, a lake, river or the pool, wetsuit or non-wetsuit. There are no age limits! You can sign yourself up, sign up a friend, your kids or your grannie! Do it alone or complete it as a socially distanced challenge with some friends!
You do not have to send in any evidence or even tell us you have done the swim! We will still send you your sew-on patch.
Raising money for Unicef
The United Nations Children’s Fund is an agency responsible for providing humanitarian and developmental aid to children worldwide. UNICEF’s activities include immunizations and disease prevention, administering treatment for children and mothers with HIV, enhancing childhood and maternal nutrition, improving sanitation, promoting education, and providing emergency relief in response to disasters and war. Find out more about Unicef here: www.unicef.org.uk/what-we-do/
Unicef believe that Coronavirus is the biggest global crisis for children since World War Two. 6000 children could die every day in the next six months as coronavirus weakens national health systems and disrupts vital services. Coronavirus particularly threatens children already weakened by war, disease, hunger and poverty, whose very survival depends on health care, life-saving food donations, clean water and medical supplies.
£1 from your entry will go to Unicef to help them with their vital work hepling children in need across the world. You can make an extra donation when you sign up too!
International Entry: £11.00
Includes: Your entry, sew-on patch and postage & £1 donation to Unicef.
Entries close on 31st August 2020.
How to sign up
It’s super easy to register!
- Please read the terms and conditions at the bottom of this page.
- Click on the button below to go to the entry system.
- IMPORTANT: Make sure the address your provide is the same as you’d like the sew-on patch to be posted to. If you supply the wrong address we cannot be held responsible for a lost patch!
- Complete your swim by 31st August. You don’t have to send us any evidence. We will send you your patch in the post when the challenge finishes!
Do I have to swim outdoors?
No! You can swim in a swimming pool if you want to.
Where can I do my swim?
You can complete your swim anywhere you want – in the sea, a lake, river, pool or even as a tethered swim.
Can I do my swim tethered in a paddling pool?
Yes you can! How you measure your distance is up to you.
Do I have to wear a wetsuit?
No! You don’t have to wear a wetsuit.
Have I got to complete the distance all in one go?
No, you have the whole month of August to clock up the meters in as many swims as you need!
Who can enter a virtual swim?
Anyone! We would ask that if your child (under 16) wants to enter that they should complete the swim under supervision of a parent/guardian but apart from that there are no restrictions. Just get out there and swim! By entering our Virtual Swim you are agreeing that any injury or damage that is caused by completing your race is your own responsibility. Love SwimRun Limited Ltd will not be held responsible for any accidents or injury that occurs during your swim.
I’m not in the UK, can I still enter?
Of course! Although we do have to charge a small postage fee to anyone entering from outside of the UK. Just make sure you choose the ‘International’ option when you enter.
Do I need to send you evidence?
No you don’t, but you can if you want to or we love to see photos of your swims! Please email us at email@example.com or tag us in your pictures on social media @loveswimrun
When will I get my sew-on patch?
We will send out all patches once the challenge finishes at the end of the August. It may take 3 weeks to receive your patch as we will need to order them and get them posted. Please note that if you have given us an incorrect address or if you move house and fail to notify us of your address change (therefore your patch is sent to the wrong address or is not received at all) then we will be unable to send out a replacement.
How do you know where to send my sew-on patch?
All sew-on patches will be sent to the address that you registered with when signing up for the challenge though Ticket Tailor
When can I register for the challenge?
Registration is open now! You can sign up any time up until 31st August 2020 and from any location!
When do I do my swim?
The Virtual Vertical Swim officially starts on 1st August and finishes on 31st August 2020. You can do your swimming at any time during that month.
Can I change my Virtual Vertical Swim height?
Yes, if you find you want to change the swim height you signed up for that is ok! Just write to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know which distance you want to change to and we will make that change for you.
I’m injured/sick and I cannot do the swim.
Unfortunately we cannot offer you a refund but we will make sure you still get your sew-on patch if you want it.
How much of my entry fee goes towards chairty?
£1 from your entry fee will be given to charity but you can make an extra donation when you register if you wish to.
- Always swim with a buddy or some sort of safety support such as a tow float AND shore watch, etc. Love SwimRun strongly encourages swimmers to use a tow float for both visibility and safety purposes. Carry a waterproofed phone if you can.
- Swim within your limits. Open water conditions vary widely, make sure you know the area you are swimming in well and swim within your abilities when it comes to depth, distance, temperature, waves, currents, water conditions.
- Adhere to whatever local COVID-19 related social distancing rules that may be in place (abiding by beach closures, maximum gathering sizes, etc).
- Only swim where you are legally allowed to do so and adhere to any restrictions in place.
- Leave no trace. Please pick up any litter and leave the water and surrounding areas as you found it
- Only use ‘Reef Safe’ sunscreen and lubricants to protect aquatic life.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- For entrants 16 years and over: By completing an entry to The Virtual Vertical Swim, I certify I have read and accept the terms and conditions for participation in this event.
- For entrants under 16 years: By completing an entry to The Virtual Vertical Swim, I certify I am the parent/ guardian of this entrant who is under 16 years and I give my consent for them to participate in this event. I accept the terms and conditions for participation in this event on behalf of the entrant and declare them as capable of completing the distance they have nominated.
- Entrants declare that they are physically fit and capable of participating in this event and are not aware of any medical condition or impairment that will prevent participation in this event or will affect their health by participation.
- Entrants acknowledge that this is a virtual swim and that the organisers will not provide volunteers, marshals or medical personnel assistance to any entrant.
- Entrants have read and agree to abide by the ‘Swim Safely’ advice provided.
- Entrants acknowledge that organisers cannot completely track or verify results in this virtual event, though they will do their best to ensure they are accurate. Unverified times will be listed as such. The Organisers decision is final.
- Entrants acknowledge that there are no winners or prizes in this event.
- Entrants consent to royalty-free use of their name, photographs, video and comments in any publications and marketing in relation to this event by event organisers Love SwimRun Ltd. You further consent to receiving information about future LoveSwimRun events and special offers and promotions.
- Entry is only valid for the participant listed on the entry system and is not transferable.
- By agreeing to these terms and conditions, entrants release event organisers, from all claims connected with participation. Entrants indemnify the event organiser of this event directly or indirectly against all liability for any and all injury, loss or damage connected with the entrant’s participation.
- Entrants accept that participation in this event is at their own risk and they accept that participating in this event may involve real risk of injury or death.
- Entrants acknowledge they will participate and complete their swim in a manner chosen by them, at locations chosen by them and at their own risk.
- Entrants acknowledge that should they withdraw for any reason, the entry fee is non-refundable.
- Entrants acknowledge that the entry fee is for entry to the event and not to ‘purchase’ the sew-on patch. The patch is a reward for completing the swim during August 2020.