The Secret SwimWalk
The Secret SwimWalk is a fully guided and supported SwimWalk around the wooded tracks and trails of Northern Snowdonia. The route involves 400m of ascent and is an exhilarating excursion for those that take it on. The scenery is beautiful: you can expect forest fire roads, technical narrow foot paths, secluded lakes, and fantastic views. There will be 4 secluded swims in different locations & plenty of snacks! The route is circular, so you’ll finish up back at your cars. We are offering a limited number of spaces for this challenge. There will be a maximum of 15 people.
Total distance: 10km
Total ascent: 400m
Legs: 6 walks and 4 swims
Price: £43pp (including £3 booking fee)
Location: Near Betws-Y-Coed
Places available: 15 on each SwimWalk
MORE DATES COMING SOON…
Why the ‘Secret’?
It’s all part of the fun and adventure! We like surprises and we like to keep our favourite trails and swimming spots under the radar, sharing them with just a special few! The route will be kept a secret until the day of the challenge and the meeting place will be sent to you just a few days before (but you will be given an idea of the rough location once you enter).
It’s not a race!
These are sociable challenges, not races, so there will be no medal for you at the end, but you will take away with you some fantastic memories, some new friends, and a big smile (and possibly cold toes)!
The walk is 10km in total but you do have option to drop out early and miss the last swim if you get tired. The walking is mostly on gravel tracks but there are some uneven, rooty and muddy sections and there is about 400m total ascent. You will need to carry a rucksack with your food, flask, warm layers and swim kit for one swim on each walk section. Please use walking poles if you are at all unsteady on your feet.
The swims are all out and back dips so you can swim as little or as far as you like (although we only have a limited time at each location and we need to keep the group moving so we stay warm)
We will provide the following:
- Qualified Guides: you’ll have no worries about getting lost, just relax and enjoy your surroundings and the SwimWalk!
- Mobile support: located as close as possible to each swim will be a van carrying your spare gear should you wish to change or drop out, first aid provision and lots of food and drink to keep you going!
- Treats and drink: we ask you to carry some high calorie snacks and a flask of hot drink on the challenge yourself to keep you fuelled up and to help keep you warm, but we’d normally provide hot drinks and cake but due to Covid-19 we cannot do this. We will provide hot water and will have them waiting for you at each checkpoint throughout the challenge.
- First Aid: guides are fully first aid trained and will be carrying first aid kits.
- Emergency transport: If something happens and you can’t continue, through injury or because you get too cold, we’ll take care of getting you back to the start. We’ll also carry any spare clothing that you may want at during the SwimWalk.
Pace, Ability & Experience
The is a sociable challenge and the ability of the members of the group will vary so please be aware that you may not be traveling as fast as you might if you were walking alone! The pace will be dictated by the guide, taking into account the ability of the group as a whole. We will need to keep moving at a good pace to keep warm. You will need a good level of fitness to take part. If you struggle during the event and this begins to impact on the well being of the rest of the group we may politely ask you to retire, or at least skip one or two of the longer sections. You MUST be experienced and confident in you ability in open water, and be used to cold water!
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THERE IS NO WATER SUPPORT ON ANY OF THE SWIMS – YOU MUST BE A CONFIDENT AND CAPABLE SWIMMER.
Please pack kit for the worst case scenario relevant to the date you have book to join us. In summer it could be lovely and warm but at any time of year in North Wales we can have cool days and plenty of wind and rain! We will keep moving as much as possible but please come prepared for the cold!
We recommend you wear/bring:
- Suitable walking gear – layers of technical, insulated and wicking fabrics – no jeans or cotton
- Stout walking shoes or boots with warm socks (it may be wet, muddy and slippery).
- Full set of waterproofs – jacket and over trousers
- Spare dry socks
- Spare dry baselayer
- Gloves & hat
- If it’s hot and sunny: suncream (‘reef friendly’ please – chemicals in sunscreen can be very harmful to aquatic life), sun hat & sun glasses
- Walking poles of you require them
Synthetic fabrics are best as they will wick any sweat away from your body and keep you dry. Wool is also quite good as it will keep you warm even if you are damp. Lots of layers are good, rather than one thick layer, so you can take layers off and regulate your heat better – e.g. a technical thermal base layer, a fleece and waterproof jacket. You might also want an insulated jacket or a second fleece of you think you’ll suffer with the cold after the swims. Please bring a complete set of dry clothes to leave in your cars for after we finish the SwimWalk as it is not easy to get warm again in damp clothes!
For swims: Tow float is mandatory on all swims.
- Swimming costumes
- Rash vests or neoprene vests
- Neoprene accessories – shoes, gloves, socks, hat
- Bright swim hat (bring ones you already have, we won’t be supplying any to save waste, but we do have a big bag of old ones if you need to borrow any!)
- Wetsuits are optional but you will need to be very fast getting in and out of it!
- Mandatory Tow float – there will be no water safety cover.
- Towels or changing robes – You might want to bring a couple so you have a dry one to swap to if one gets too wet or a bit muddy.
- Changing mat – something to stand on like a foam mat or thick plastic bag
- Plastic bags or dry bags to keep wet wet kit away from dry kit!
We’ll be doing 4 swims so if you have 4 costumes bring a dry one for each to prevent possible cross contamination of any invasive species between lakes.
You MUST also bring and carry with you:
- High energy snacks
- Flask of hot drink for when we cannot access the van
- Fully charged mobile phone
- Personal medication – please inform us of any medical conditions that are relevant when entering.
Further information on kit, logistics on the day and individual leg distances will be available once you have entered.
- Participants must be age 18+ to take part in this event. Participants age 16+ may take part if accompanied by another participant aged 18+.
- Only people who have entered the event will be able to take part, so non-swimming friends/partners and children may NOT accompany you.
- We are sorry but we do NOT allow dogs to come on these events.
Covid-19 restrictions are still in place in North Wales and we must adhere to 2m social distancing rules. Currently we are able to meet outdoors in groups of up to 30 people , if the regulations change or we head back into lockdown we may be forced to cancel the event. If we do have to cancel you will be offered an alternative date next year or a full refund minus the booking fee of £3.
Booking Terms and Conditions
Participants must be age 18+ to take part in The Secret SwimWalk. Participants age 16+ may take part if accompanied by another participant aged 18+.
By entering The Secret SwimWalk you accept awareness of and agree to the following:
- I am aware of the risks and hazards associated with or related to participating in this SwimWalk, including but not limited to, cold water, potential un-clement weather, difficult, technical and hazardous terrain, remote locations.
- I have been made aware of the swim water temperature. I agree it is solely my decision on whether to undertake the swim sections and I will not hold the organisers responsible in any way for any claims that may arise.
- I agree to use a tow float on every swim.
- I confirm that all my equipment is in good working order and accept that is has been my decision to wear my chosen clothing having been made aware of the potential route conditions and temperatures encountered during the SwimWalk.
- I agree that the organisers/guides my request that I retire from the SwimWalk should they believe that continuing will impact on my own well being or the safety of the other member of the group. I agree to retire if asked to do so.
- I have sole responsibility for my personal possessions and all equipment during the event
- I attest that I am physically fit and can complete this SwimWalk. I will inform the organisers and guides of any physical conditions that may impact on my ability to complete the route or pose a problem during the challenge.
- I will comply with the rules and the terms and conditions of this SwimWalk and any instructions I am given.
- I understand and agree to the Route Changes and Cancellation Policy: I agree that the organiser retains the right to change the route at any time, before or during the event, for safety or logistical reasons. (Please see Route Changes and Cancellation Policy)
- I grant full permission for Love SwimRun to use my image in photographs for future marketing and on social media.
Participation is at the participant’s own risk.
- I indemnify the organisers and guides against any claims that may possibly result from participation in the SwimWalk event. I also indemnify the organisers and guides for any and all consequences which may ensue as a result of this participation.
- I agree to the no Refunds Policy and understand the limited Transfer Options and indemnify the organisers for any travel, accommodation or other expenses incurred as a result of the cancellation.
- I agree to adhere to 2m social distancing rules.
- I understand that the event may have to be cancelled if Covid-19 regulations in Wales change. I will receive a refund minus a £3 booking fee.
Route Changes and Cancellation Policy
The Secret SwimWalk will take place only when the safety of all involved is not comprised by weather or the event of circumstances beyond our control, if either of these circumstances results in us cancelling for safety reasons, complications with the venue or other or unforeseen circumstances, we will do either of the following:
a) Amend a route or change the location within reason to ensure a safe and enjoyable event
b) When the event cannot be held safely due to particular conditions – we will cancel the event.
Where an event is changed to some extent under condition ‘a’ above, no refund will be applicable. In the event of a cancellation under condition ‘b’ above, participants will be given a full refund (minus any administration costs).
Any other costs incurred by you including but not limited to travel and accommodation will not be covered by Love SwimRun Ltd. We recommend you take out insurance to cover these expenses.
Refunds and Transfers
No refunds are available once an entry has been received and confirmation of entry has been delivered.
You may transfer your place to another person wishing to take part in the SwimWalk. This must be done at least 2 days prior to the event. You are responsible for informing us of the updated personal and contact information of the new participant. If we have not received this information 2 days before the SwimWalk date we will not accept the transfer.