The Secret SwimRun Challenge
Our supported 24km Secret Swimrun Challenge is a 1 day, fully guided and supported swimrun around the wooded tracks and trails of Northern Snowdonia. The route involves 1168m of ascent and is an exhilarating, challenging excursion for those that take it on. The scenery is beautiful – you can expect forest fire roads, technical narrow foot paths, hidden relics, beautiful secluded lakes, fantastic views, and if you make it to the last swim, an exciting swoosh in a river. The route is circular, so you’ll finish up back at your cars. We are offering a limited number of spaces for this challenge. There will be a maximum of 15 people.
Total distance: 24km/14.9miles
Total ascent: 1168m
Legs: 7 runs and 6 swims (max swim length 500m)
Price: £50pp (+£3 booking fee from SiEntries)
Location: Near Betws-Y-Coed
Places available: 15 on each SwimRun Challenge
Saturday 2nd May 2020 – Places available
Saturday 18th July 2020 – Places available
Saturday 26th Sept 2020 – Places available
Why the ‘Secret’?
It’s all part of the fun and adventure! We like surprises and we like to keep our favourite trails and swimming spots under the radar, sharing them with just a special few! The route will be kept a secret until the day of the challenge and the meeting place will be sent to you just a few days before (but you will be given an idea of the rough location once you enter).
It’s not a race!
These are sociable challenges, not races, so there will be no medal for you at the end, but you will take away with you some fantastic memories, some new friends, and a big smile (and possibly cold toes)!
We will provide the following:
- Qualified Guides: you’ll have no worries about getting lost, just relax and enjoy your surroundings and the SwimRun!
- Mobile support: located as close as possible to each swim will be a van carrying your spare gear should you wish to change or drop out, first aid provision and lots of food and drink to keep you going! We will not have access to it between two of the swims though.
- Treats and drink: we ask you to carry some high calorie snacks on the challenge yourself to keep you fuelled up and to help keep you warm, but we’ll also provide some treats and hot drinks and will have them waiting for you at each checkpoint throughout the challenge.
- First Aid: guides are fully first aid trained and will be carrying first aid kits.
- Emergency transport: If something happens and you can’t continue, through injury or tiredness or because you get too cold, we’ll take care of getting you back to the start. We’ll also carry any spare clothing that you may want at during the SwimRun.
Pace, Ability & Experience
The is a sociable challenge and the ability of the members of the group will vary so please be aware that you may not be traveling as fast as you might if you were running alone! We will be averaging around 4-5 mph – a jogging pace for most, and we will be taking short stops with our mobile support, so the emphasis is on keeping going, not speed! Think of walking briskly the climbs, jogging the flat sections and running the descents. The pace will be dictated by the guide, taking into account the ability of the group as a whole. We will need to keep moving at a good pace to keep warm. You will need a good level of fitness to take part. If you struggle during the event and this begins to impact on the well being of the rest of the group we may politely ask you to retire, or at least skip one or two of the longer sections.
You will need to have experience of off road running and be used to dealing with lots of ascent – we will be climbing more than the height of Mt Snowdon! You MUST be experienced and confident in you ability in open water, and be used to cold water! Ideally you will have at least some swimrun experience.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THERE IS NO WATER SUPPORT ON ANY OF THE SWIMS – YOU MUST BE A CONFIDENT AND CAPABLE SWIMMER.
Most of the swims are linear so you will need to be able to carry all the kit you run wth on your swim – a dry bag tow float is a good idea as it will allow you to carry any extras with you on the runs and tow any kit while you swim.
Wetsuit are compulsory, but may become optional depending on the weather and temperature on the day of the challenge you book. You will be advised about this nearer to the date.
We recommend you wear:
– Wetsuit (neoprene or rubber): swimrun specific or triathlon style
– Thermal/insulating layers underneath: rash vests or neoprene vests
– Neoprene accessories – gloves, socks, hat
– Off road trainers with good grip – it will be muddy/rooty in places
– Hand paddles and pull buoy are optional
You must carry:
– Tow float (we recommend you use a dry bag style so you can easily carry the following inside it)
– High energy food and something to drink
– Mobile phone (waterproofed!)
Further information on kit, logistics on the day and individual leg distances will be available once you have entered.
- Participants must be age 18+ to take part in this event. Participants age 16+ may take part if accompanied by another participant aged 18+.
- Only people who have entered the event will be able to take part, so non-swimming friends/partners and children may NOT accompany you.
- We are sorry but we do NOT allow dogs to come on these events.
Booking Terms and Conditions
Participants must be age 18+ to take part in The Secret SwimRun Challenge. Participants age 16+ may take part if accompanied by another participant aged 18+.
By entering The Secret SwimRun Challenge you accept awareness of and agree to the following:
- I am aware of the risks and hazards associated with or related to participating in this SwimRun, including but not limited to, cold water, potential un-clement weather, difficult, technical and hazardous terrain, remote locations.
- I have been made aware of the swim water temperature. I agree it is solely my decision on whether to undertake the swim sections and I will not hold the organisers responsible in any way for any claims that may arise.
- I confirm that all my equipment is in good working order and accept that is has been my decision to wear my chosen clothing having been made aware of the potential route conditions and temperatures encountered during the SwimRun.
- I agree that the organisers/guides my request that I retire from the SwimRun should they believe that continuing will impact on my own well being or the safety of the other member of the group. I agree to retire if asked to do so.
- I have sole responsibility for my personal possessions and all equipment during the event
- I attest that I am physically fit and can complete this SwimRun. I will inform the organisers and guides of any physical conditions that may impact on my ability to complete the route or pose a problem during the challenge.
- I will comply with the rules and the terms and conditions of this SwimRun and any instructions I am given.
- I understand and agree to the Route Changes and Cancellation Policy: I agree that the organiser retains the right to change the route at any time, before or during the event, for safety or logistical reasons. (Please see Route Changes and Cancellation Policy)
- I grant full permission for Love SwimRun to use my image in photographs for future marketing and on social media.
Participation is at the participant’s own risk.
- I indemnify the organisers and guides against any claims that may possibly result from participation in the SwimRun event. I also indemnify the organisers and guides for any and all consequences which may ensue as a result of this participation.
- I agree to the no Refunds Policy and understand the limited Transfer Options and indemnify the organisers for any travel, accommodation or other expenses incurred as a result of the cancellation.
Route Changes and Cancellation Policy
The Secret SwimRun Challenge will take place only when the safety of all involved is not comprised by weather or the event of circumstances beyond our control, if either of these circumstances results in us cancelling for safety reasons, complications with the venue or other or unforeseen circumstances, we will do either of the following:
a) Amend a route or change the location within reason to ensure a safe and enjoyable event
b) When the event cannot be held safely due to particular conditions – we will cancel the event.
Where an event is changed to some extent under condition ‘a’ above, no refund will be applicable. In the event of a cancellation under condition ‘b’ above, participants will be given a full refund (minus any administration costs).
Any other costs incurred by the participant including but not limited to travel and accommodation will not be covered by Love SwimRun Ltd. We recommend you take out insurance to cover these expenses.
Refunds and Transfers
No refunds are available once an entry has been received and confirmation of entry has been delivered.
You may transfer your place to another person wishing to take part in the SwimRun. This must be done at least 2 days prior to the event. You are responsible for informing us of the updated personal and contact information of the new participant. If we have not received this information 2 days before the SwimRun date Love SwimRun Ltd. will not accept the transfer.