Love SwimRun Dawn to Dusk, North Wales, UK
NEW DATE: 2nd October 2021 (postponed from 3rd October 2020)
12 hour endurance SwimRun event!
Complete as many laps of our tough 6km Swimrun course as you can between dawn and dusk! Expect stunning views of majestic Mt. Snowdon, beautiful woodland, waterfalls, historic mining relics, challenging technical trails and a lot of ascent! Make this a personal mission or get competitive on the course as you summon up the strength of mind and body to keep going!
Love SwimRun Dawn to Dusk will take place in Padarn Country Park, Llanberis, Snowdonia National Park, North Wales. The technical off-road course (which is different to our Love SwimRun Llanberis course) will involve a total of approximately 1km of swimming and 5km of running per loop. The runs will take in some of Snowdonia’s most stunning views, including beautiful woodland, waterfalls, historic mining relics and a lot of ascent! The swim sections will all take place in Llyn Padarn, entering and exiting the lake at various locations. The course will be fully way marked and marshalled.
- location: Gilfach Ddu, Llanberis, North Wales. LL55 4TY.
- Course distance:
6km loop: 1km of swimming (over 3 swims) and 5km of running.
- Transitions per loop: 3 swims, 3 runs
- Elevation gain per 6km loop: 322m
- Cut off: 12 hours! Any loops completed after 12 hours will not count.
There is no cut off for each loop. Take as long as you like completing your laps. The only reason we’ll pull you out is on medical grounds and a full medical team will be on hand for assessment and treatment. Please note the race will finish at 7pm and any laps completed after this time will not count.
- Checkpoints: There are no checkpoints as such other than the start/finish area through which you must pass to dib your timer although there will be marshals at strategic points on the course to direct you and check numbers to prevent any short cutting!
How it works
You will have exactly 12 hours to complete as many laps of the 6km course as you can. If you start a lap but do not complete it within the 12 hours it will not count. You must dib your timer at the start of each loop and at the end of your last loop to record your final time and end your race. You can do this at any time during the 12 hours (you don’t have to go for the whole time!!). You can rest and refuel as long as you like between your laps but the time you rest will be added onto the end of each loop.
Solos compete on their own, completing each lap alone. Teams of two must complete every lap they start together. Relays (pairs and quads) take turns to complete their laps as solos however they what to organise it (e.g., one lap each or two laps at a time etc). Relays will need to exchange bibs and timing chips when they swap over.
The winner of each category will be the one/s that have completed the greatest number of laps in the shortest amount of time. (e.g., if one team completes 9 laps in 11.00.hrs, they will beat a team that completes 9 laps in 11.10hrs. A team that completes 10 laps in 11.59hrs will beat both of them!)
- Online entry opens: 10th January 2020.
- Online entry closes: Midnight 25th September 2021.
Full course entries: Solo / Team of 2 (complete each loop together as a pair) / Relay pair / Relay quad.
All entrants must be 18+ on the day of the event to enter.
- Solo: £125
- Team of 2: £250 (£125 per person)
- Relay pair: £230 (£115 per person)
- Relay quad: £400 (£100 per person)
Entry fee includes:
- Event bib (to be returned – damaged or lost bibs will be charged for)
- Event swim hat (re-use one of our orange hats to save waste and we’ll donate the cost to The Marine Conservation society – see note below*)
- Race timing
- On-site safety team for the duration of the event.
- Wild Trail bar
- Race souvenir to bring back the pain in future years!
- Free event photos
- Prize for winners in each category
- As much encouragement as we can possibly dish out
- A whole lot of fun!
* We all have loads of swim caps from events, do you really need another?! If you bring an orange Love SwimRun hat from a previous event with you to reuse instead of taking a new hat we will donate the cost of the new hat to The Marine Conservation Society! Of course, you are welcome to have a cap if you want it!
Mandatory equipment for ALL participants
There will be a mandatory equipment check at registration.
- 1 wetsuit per participant suitable for water temperature of min 14 degrees Celsius
- 1 pair goggles per participant
- 1 pair trainers suitable for off road/multi terrain, per participant
- 1 whistle per participant
- Hydration system, soft bottle or cup per participant
Additional mandatory equipment for solo and relay competitors only
- 1 Tow float (must be a dedicated swimming tow float). A pull buoy does not count as a tow float!
Mandatory equipment that Love SwimRun will supply
- Race bibs – must be worn at all times during the race and must not be modified
- Swim caps – must be worn during all the swims
Strongly recommended equipment to carry
- Gel/Emergency food
- Mobile phone in waterproof case
Additional equipment required for the event
NB, there will be NO feed/water stations on the course.
- Enough water/fluid for the 12 hour period (water will be available from the taps in the toilets only)
- Enough food to fuel you for the entire race
- Warm dry clothing and a means of keeping warm between loops if you choose not to get changed.
Entry terms & conditions
Please read the updated 2021 Love SwimRun rules and terms and conditions of entry throughly before signing up. You can read them in full here. Please be aware that we offer a no refunds policy and limited entry deferral options. You are permitted to transfer your entry into another name. Please see our FAQ page for more information. We recommend you take out individual sports event insurance to cover any losses due to unexpected circumstances that prevent you from taking part.
Entries are open!
Registration and kit inspections take place on Friday 1st October from 18.30 unitl 20.00 at Petes Eat’s Cafe on Llanberis High Street, (All times listed are provisional and will be confirmed in the 2021 handbook). Please arrive as early as possible and ensure you have your mandatory equipment with you – your kit will be checked and you cannot register without it! Race bibs and hats will be issued during registration. All team members must be present to register.
Route and safety briefing
The briefing will be held at 06:30 on Saturday 2nd October 2021 at Gilgach Ddu, Llanberis. Participants who have not attended the brief will not be allowed to start. (All times are provisional and will be confirmed in the 2021 handbook issued 4 weeks before the event)
Provisional Schedule of events
Please see 2020 event handbook for correct times.
Friday 1st October 2021
- 18.30 to 20.00 Registration at Pete’s Eat’s
Saturday 2nd October 2021
- 06:30 Route and safety brief
- 06.50 Arrive at start line
- 07:00 Race start
- 19.00 Race Finish
- 19:30 Prize giving
Training plan & swimrun tips
You can find lots of information about training for swimrun on this website under the ‘SwimRun Knowledgebase’ tab in the main menu. We also have a training plan available here.
Going on average water temperatures for the end of October over the last few years, we expect the water temperature in Llyn Padarn to be approximately 12-14°C for our Love SwimRun Dawn to Dusk event. The temperature in the lake can vary quite a lot depending on the amount of rainfall and sunshine we have but we will keep you updated on the water temperature in the run up to the event.
Love SwimRun Dawn to Dusk 2021 commemorative t-shirts will be available for pre-order (to pick up on the day of the event). These are designed, produced and sold by an independent t-shirt designer. They are £15 each and are etchically produced from organic cotton! They are hand printed locally using environmentally friendly inks. You will be emailed approx 1 month before the event with the design and details of how to order one.
Love SwimRun everyday vinyl printed logo t-shirts, vest tops and hoodies are available for mail order in the Love SwimRun shop. Males sizes seem accurate. Female sizes come up small, so if you like a fitted look order your normal size or if you like a slightly looser fit go for a size up (eg for size 10: Small = fitted, Medium = looser fit).
Official nutrition partner
Wild Trail will be helping to fuel you on our events this year as our official nutrition partner! Their all natural fruit and nut bars are made with just 5 simple ingredients you’ll know and love, see them at www.wildtrail.co.uk. They are gluten free, dairy free, have no added sugar, are high in fibre and suitable for vegetarians and vegans! Best of all, Wild Trail bars are inspired by Snowdonia and are made locally in Wales.
We are super exited to have Zone3 on board as our SwimRun event sponsors. Zone3 are also offering all Love SwimRun participants a 20% discount on their range including their SwimRun specific wetsuits, the Versa and Evolution! You will receive a special discount code once you have registered.
All competitors will receive a race souvenir. Winners prizes will be given out after the race finishes. Prizes will be awarded to the first 3 teams/solos in each category (solo: male & female, team: male, female & mixed, relay: Pairs and quads. ) No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. Prizes must be collected on the day and will not be given out after the event day.
Parking & toilet facilities
There will be limited parking within the parking bay areas of Gilfach Ddu. Parking charges apply – machines maybe card payment only. Please do not park on the road or grass. Only 1 car per team please. There are public toilets and changing rooms in the middle of the car park.
By car: Llanberis typically is 5 hours from London by car, 2 hours from Manchester. To access Llanberis turn off at Junction 20 of the M6 onto the M56, follow signs for NORTH WALES to reach the A55. Use post code LL55 4EL in your Sat Nav. Public transport: The closest train station to Llanberis is in Bangor. Buses run from Bangor to Llanberis.
See our list of accommodation providers here.
Spectators are welcome at Love SwimRun events. Please park considerately. Please do not park on the road. There are plenty of good spots from which to support your friends. We would advise you to dress warmly and wear suitable footwear for walking on rough ground. If you take any photos or videos we would love to see them! If you are interested in volunteering on the day, please get in touch!