The Deep Ocean Dive virtual swim challenge
Take on our Deep Ocean Dive virtual swim challenge in May,
earn a sew-on patch and help raise money for Greenpeace.
About The Deep Ocean Dive
The Deep Ocean Dive is a fun swimming challenge that you can complete any time during the month of May! You do not actually have to dive, or even put your head underwater! The idea is to swim as as far as possible and reach the equivilant depth of one of the Ocean Zones! You have the whole month to complete your distance, you do not have to swim it all in one go, but you can if you want to!
The Ocean is facing a serious crisis, this means planet Earth, of which 70% of the surface is ocean, is also threatened. The seas harbour incredible wildlife, provide food for billions and help balance our climate. Yet only a tiny fraction of the ocean is protected. To keep them healthy, we need a global network of ocean sanctuaries. These will help protect oceans from overfishing, oil drilling and plastic pollution. Industrial fishing methods have been so ruthless, many fish species are on the point of collapse. Marine environments are devastated by oil spills while deep-sea mining threatens fragile life in the depths. And many types of pollution inevitably make their way into the ocean – we’ve only just woken up to the problems of plastic pollution on marine life. With this virtual swim we are raising money for Greenpeace to help support their efforts to care for the ocean and establish more ocean reserves.
The Virtual Deep Ocean Dive Zones:
There are 5 Ocean Zones (distances) for you to choose from. These are the actual depths of the real ocean zones! Pick the one that best suits your ability. You can choose to make it as easy or as challenging for yourself (or someone else!) as you like! You can enter more than one if you want to!
– The Sunlight Zone (Epipelagic zone): 200m
– The Twilight Zone (Mesopelagic zone): 1,000m
– The Midnight Zone (Bathypelagic zone): 4,000m
– The Abyss (Abyssopelagic zone): 6,000m
– The Trenches (Hadalpelagic Zone): 11,000m
There is one patch design for all distances.
This is a personal challenge not a race. There are no prizes but you will receive a fantastic sew-on patch so you can show off your achievement! At the end of the challenge we will add all your names to a graphic on the website showing the ‘depths’ (distances!) of your swims! We would love to see photos of you doing your swim too, or perhaps of you picking up some litter during or after your swim to help keep our waters safe and pristine! Please tag us in your pictures on social media @loveswimrun.
You can swim in the sea, a lake, river or the pool, wetsuit or non-wetsuit. There are no age limits! You can sign yourself up, sign up a friend, your kids or your grannie! Do it alone or complete it as a socially distanced challenge with some friends!
You do not have to send in any evidence or even tell us you have done the swim! We will still send you your sew-on patch.
Raising money for Greenpeace UK
Greenpeace is a movement of people who are passionate about defending the natural world from destruction. Their vision is a greener, healthier and more peaceful planet, one that can sustain life for generations to come.
Importantly Greenpeace are independent. They don’t accept any funding from governments, corporations or political parties and their work is funded by ordinary people. That means they are free to confront governments and corporations responsible for the destruction of the natural world and push for real change.
Greenpeace do this by investigating, documenting and exposing the causes of environmental destruction. They work to bring about change by lobbying, consumer pressure and mobilising members of the general public. They take peaceful direct action to protect our Earth and promote solutions for a green and peaceful future.
£1 from your entry will go to Greenpeace to help them with their vital work hepling to keep our plants green and sustainable! You can make an extra donation when you sign up too!
International Entry: £12.00
Includes: Your entry, sew-on patch and postage & £1 donation to Greenpeace.
Entries close on 31st May 2020.
How to sign up
It’s super easy to register!
- Please read the terms and conditions at the bottom of this page.
- Click on the button below to go to the entry system.
- IMPORTANT: Make sure the address your provide is the same as you’d like the sew-on patch to be posted to. If you supply the wrong address we cannot be held responsible for a lost patch!
- Complete your swim by 31st May. You don’t have to send us any evidence. We will send you your patch in the post when the challenge finishes!
Do I have to swim outdoors?
No! You can swim in a swimming pool if you want to.
Where can I do my swim?
You can complete your swim anywhere you want – in the sea, a lake, river, pool or even as a tethered swim.
Can I do my swim tethered in a paddling pool?
Yes you can! How you measure your distance is up to you.
Do I have to wear a wetsuit?
No! You don’t have to wear a wetsuit.
Have I got to complete the distance all in one go?
No, you have the whole month of August to clock up the meters in as many swims as you need!
Who can enter a virtual swim?
Anyone! We would ask that if your child (under 16) wants to enter that they should complete the swim under supervision of a parent/guardian but apart from that there are no restrictions. Just get out there and swim! By entering our Virtual Swim you are agreeing that any injury or damage that is caused by completing your race is your own responsibility. Love SwimRun Limited Ltd will not be held responsible for any accidents or injury that occurs during your swim.
I’m not in the UK, can I still enter?
Of course! Although we do have to charge a small postage fee to anyone entering from outside of the UK. Just make sure you choose the ‘International’ option when you enter.
Do I need to send you evidence?
No you don’t, but you can if you want to or we love to see photos of your swims! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or tag us in your pictures on social media @loveswimrun
When will I get my sew-on patch?
We will send out all patches once the challenge finishes at the end of the May. To save waste we only order the quantity of patches that have been ordered. It may take 4 weeks to receive your patch as we will need to order them and get them posted. Please note that if you have given us an incorrect address or if you move house and fail to notify us of your address change (therefore your patch is sent to the wrong address or is not received at all) then we will be unable to send out a replacement.
Are there different patch designs?
No. There is one patch design for all distances.
How do you know where to send my sew-on patch?
All sew-on patches will be sent to the address that you registered with when signing up for the challenge though Ticket Tailor
When can I register for the challenge?
Registration is open now! You can sign up any time up until 31st May 2020 and from any location!
When do I do my swim?
The Deep Ocean Dive virtual swim officially starts on 1st May and finishes on 31st May 2020. You can do your swimming at any time during that month.
Can I change my Virtual Big Blue Swim distance?
Yes, if you find you want to change the swim height you signed up for that is ok! Just write to us at: email@example.com and let us know which distance you want to change to and we will make that change for you.
I’m injured/sick and I cannot do the swim.
Unfortunately we cannot offer you a refund but we will make sure you still get your sew-on patch if you want it.
How much of my entry fee goes towards chairty?
£1 from your entry fee will be given to charity but you can make an extra donation when you register if you wish to.
- Always swim with a buddy or some sort of safety support such as a tow float AND shore watch, etc. Love SwimRun strongly encourages swimmers to use a tow float for both visibility and safety purposes. Carry a waterproofed phone if you can.
- Swim within your limits. Open water conditions vary widely, make sure you know the area you are swimming in well and swim within your abilities when it comes to depth, distance, temperature, waves, currents, water conditions.
- Adhere to whatever local COVID-19 related social distancing rules that may be in place (abiding by beach closures, maximum gathering sizes, etc).
- Only swim where you are legally allowed to do so and adhere to any restrictions in place.
- Leave no trace. Please pick up any litter and leave the water and surrounding areas as you found it
- Only use ‘Reef Safe’ sunscreen and lubricants to protect aquatic life. See our informative article on environmentally responsibe swimming here: http://loveswimrun.co.uk/eco-swimming/
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- For entrants 16 years and over: By completing an entry to The Deep Ocean Dive virtual swim, I certify I have read and accept the terms and conditions for participation in this event.
- For entrants under 16 years: By completing an entry to The Deep Ocean Dive virtual swim, I certify I am the parent/ guardian of this entrant who is under 16 years and I give my consent for them to participate in this event. I accept the terms and conditions for participation in this event on behalf of the entrant and declare them as capable of completing the distance they have nominated.
- Entrants declare that they are physically fit and capable of participating in this event and are not aware of any medical condition or impairment that will prevent participation in this event or will affect their health by participation.
- Entrants acknowledge that this is a virtual swim and that the organisers will not provide volunteers, marshals or medical personnel assistance to any entrant.
- Entrants have read and agree to abide by the ‘Swim Safely’ advice provided.
- Entrants acknowledge that organisers cannot completely track or verify results in this virtual event, though they will do their best to ensure they are accurate. Unverified times will be listed as such. The Organisers decision is final.
- Entrants acknowledge that there are no winners or prizes in this event.
- Entrants consent to royalty-free use of their name, photographs, video and comments in any publications and marketing in relation to this event by event organisers Love SwimRun Ltd. You further consent to receiving information about future LoveSwimRun events and special offers and promotions.
- Entry is only valid for the participant listed on the entry system and is not transferable.
- By agreeing to these terms and conditions, entrants release event organisers, from all claims connected with participation. Entrants indemnify the event organiser of this event directly or indirectly against all liability for any and all injury, loss or damage connected with the entrant’s participation.
- Entrants accept that participation in this event is at their own risk and they accept that participating in this event may involve real risk of injury or death.
- Entrants acknowledge they will participate and complete their swim in a manner chosen by them, at locations chosen by them and at their own risk.
- Entrants acknowledge that should they withdraw for any reason, the entry fee is non-refundable.
- Entrants acknowledge that the entry fee is for entry to the event and not to ‘purchase’ the sew-on patch. The patch is a reward for completing the swim during May 2020.